In 2013, Orth Building of Dubbo took out a prestigious housing award for the second year running, beating tough competition from leading Sydney building firms.
The Hillside House in Dubbo’s Kintyre Estate won a Master Builders Association of NSW 2013 Excellence in Housing Awards and will will feature on the Seven Network's Australia's Best Houses on 19 March 2014.
The spectacular home overlooks the city of Dubbo. Its features build on the brief for an energy efficient, family-friendly home and include:
- red structural steel and extensive use of corrugated iron
- a design that captures the cooling summer breezes that rise from the valley to the northeast
- blade walls that funnel the air along the pool to provide natural evaporative airconditioning to the veranda inside via the louvered breezeway
- a built-in plunge and lap pool
- living areas spread over three levels
- open plan living spaces
- ventilated walkways throughout
- reverse brick veneer walls to retain a comfortable temperature all year round.
The home was built by Stephen Orth to specifications by Dubbo designer Gavin Dale.
Awards for The Hillside House
2012 JVP Design award for Best Use of Architectural Product from Bluescope Steel
2013 Master Builders Association Excellence in Housing award